Sunday 18 October 2015

The Beat, Sub89, Reading, November 7th 2014

Perhaps more accurately we saw some of the Beat

The Beat were always my favourite Two-Tone act, with something unique to their style.

These days Dave Wakeling operates as 'The English Beat' (The name they were known as in the US) and 'Ranking Roger' touts his band as 'The Beat' and it was this latter act we saw at the tiny Sub89 venue in Reading.

The support act were excellent, although it pains me to say I've forgotten their name. They seemed an odd choice to support the Beat at first, being a kind of 'folk rock' band, but they clearly understood how to get an audience on side and it only took a couple of tracks to get the audience fully behind them! Great value for a support act!

After a short break, The Beat came on. I must admit, I only really remember "Ranking Roger" chipping in the odd aside on Beat tracks from the 80s, but clearly I was doing him a disservice as they rattled through a 'greatest hits' (plus one or two new tracks, including one by "Ranking Jnr", Roger's son who introduced an un-needed rap element to proceeding, in my opinion, but on the whole we got vintage Beat, which was the crowd wanted).

What was especially impressive was the sheer energy and exuberance of Roger and the band. It didn't feel like a load of old men playing tracks from their youth and I wish I had half the energy Roger has (I suspect his son does too!).

Two Tone was always the music it was ok for men to dance to. I love dancing personally, but often you go to gigs and men shuffle their feet or jump up and down at best. Not here, everyone, man, woman and kids too young to have been a glint in their parents' eyes when the Beat were current, were dancing with abandon throught.

We get a rendition of "Stand Down Margaret", "Get a Job" dedicated to David Cameron and a first rate cover of "Rock the Casbah" dedicated to Joe Strummer, along with all the great tracks the Beat are known for.

Some won't acknowledge a band called "The Beat" without Wakeling, but if you can set aside that prejudice and just enjoy Ranking Roger's outfit on their own merits, I defy you not to have a great time.

My 22 year old daughter and I reckon this is the best gig we've been together and I'm hard put to think of one I've ever enjoyed more.

We paid £16 each for our tickets - You won't get better VFM!

"The Beat" are back at Sub89 on 8th April 2016, sadly I'm on holiday that day or we would be back, but treat yourselves!

Setlist

This is from another concert around the same time and isn't in order, but does pretty much cover what was played.

Whine & Grine/Stand Down Margaret
Too Nice to Talk To
Best Friend
Doors of Your Heart
Click Click
Rough Rider
How Do You Do
Rock the Casbah (The Clash cover)
Dangerous
Hands Off...She's Mine
Noise in This World
Spar Wid Me
The Tears of a Clown (Smokey Robinson & The Miracles cover)
Two Swords
Big Shot
Rankin'Full Stop / Mirror In The Bathroom / Twist & Shout
Encore:
Ranking Roger Jr Rap
Save It for Later (Pete Townshend cover)
Jackpot

No comments:

Post a Comment